New to Cloth Series Part 2: I've Decided to Cloth Diaper. Now What?
When families begin cloth diapering, each situation is unique. Some families are on a tight budget and the initial investment is the overriding factor. Other families want to use an eco-friendly solution, but value convenience over budget. Another family might be seeking the most cost effective way to take their baby from newborn to potty training using the same diapers.
Caitlin at BabyKicks has worked with a variety of families over the years, helping them get started with cloth. Here are her recommendations for families new to cloth on how to begin cloth diapering with BabyKicks.
How many diapers you need depends on how often you want to do laundry. Washing every 2 to 3 days is optimal for one child in diapers.
Average number of diaper changes to expect per child:
Newborns need 12 to 15 changes per 24 hours
Babies/Toddlers need 6 to 10 changers per 24 hours
To wash every other day (and have diapers clean while the wash is running), you will need:
18 to 24 cloth diapers for a Newborn
12 to 18 cloth diapers for a Baby/Toddler
Here are some combinations to begin cloth diapering using BabyKicks cloth diapers:
12 BabyKicks One Size Diapers (Basic Pocket, Premium Pocket, or Organic Fitted)
6 BabyKicks Hemparoo Fleece Prefolds
2 Covers of a brand of your choices
As baby outgrows prefolds, they will need less diapers and you can use pockets exclusively.
*BabyKicks Tip: BabyKicks One Size diapers truly fit a baby from 7 lbs to 40 lbs. They fold down small enough to fit a newborn and will accommodate both slim and chunky babies without compromising comfort or practicality.
Combination 2: Simple Solution
18 BabyKicks One Size Basic Pockets or Premium Pockets
This combination will get you through the newborn period washing every other day and allow you to wash less frequently as baby grows.
*BabyKicks Tip: Pocket Diapers are made to have a trim fit and exceptional absorbency. Add some extra Joey inserts if you need additional absorbency at bed time.
Combination 3: Add a Little Variety to Your Stash
10 BabyKicks One Size Basic Pockets or Premium Pockets
6 BabyKicks Organic Fitteds
2 BabyKicks Hemparoo Fleece Prefolds
2 Covers of a brand of your choice
*BabyKicks Tip: The BabyKicks team did a non-scientific survey on their Facebook page, asking fans to share some of their favorite covers to go over BabyKicks Organic Fitteds and Hemparoo Fleece Prefolds. Favorites included Blueberry, Rumparooz, Flip, Gen-Y, Thirsties Duo Wraps, and anything wool.
Wondering why BabyKicks uses Hemp? Here's a great link to understanding this amazing resource.
Michelle Hill, a Family Nurse Practitioner and one of my fellow BabyKicks Ambassadors also has some Tips to help babies skin stay comfortable, dry, and rash free.
1. Change your baby's diaper every 2 to 3 hours to prevent diaper rash. This recommendation is important for babies in both cloth and disposable diapers.
2. A polyester or microfleece liner can help wick moisture away from baby's skin. BabyKicks Premium Pockets come with a separate Stay Dry Liner.
3. Use a wet bag, not a diaper pail. Diaper pails are a breeding ground for bacteria and a drowning hazard.
4. Use the sun! It can help kill bacteria and fungus. Even an hour can make your diapers brighter and whiter.
5. Be aware of dietary changes that could cause rashes.
6. Use Cloth Wipes. Alcohol or preservatives in disposable wipes can irritate sensitive skin.
Be sure to join me and the BabyKicks team tonight at 8 pm CST/9 pm EST for the BabyKicks #NewtoCloth Twitter Party! Use the Rafflecopter form below to RSVP. Prize winners will be selected from party participants who RSVP and tweet at least once during the party using the hashtag #NewtoCloth (tweet must be public). If you don't see the giveaway form, simply click "See More."
a Rafflecopter giveaway
* I am a BabyKicks Ambassador, committed to sharing information about and experiences with their products. No payment was received for this post. Affiliate links are used in this post.